In this guide, We are going to show you how to backup macOS data to an external drive. For backing up your macOS data time machine is the best tool. We need to backup our macOS daily. Especially while our system is at risk like You upgrade any hardware of your system or is at the risk of interruption. So that it’s very important to backup our data to an external hard drive. As I mentioned time machine is the best and free tool to back up our data from macOS to an external drive. So in this guide please follow our easy steps to backup macOS data to an external drive.
The Reasons To Backup Our Mac
There are some reasons to backup our macSO you might know a few. In addition, I outline the mean reasons why we should backup our data.
- Because on your Mac you or anyone else could tip over a drink.
- Because your system drive could interrupt.
- It can be particularly challenging to recover data from SSDs.
- You might lose your macOS.
- Because you will have your data save with yourself.
- You will be able to access your data from any device.
- Because someone steals your mac.
- If you upgrade your mac, You will be able to transfer data easily.
How Time Machine Works And Which Items It backup
We can use the time machine tool, the built-in backup feature of your Mac, to automatically back up. This tool can backup all of your files, including apps, music, photos, email, documents, and system files. However, it has the option to exclude the folder or the data you don’t want to backup. Time Machine preserve:
- Local snapshots as space permits
- Hourly backups for the past 24 hours
- Daily backups for the past month
- Weekly backups for all previous months
Also, the older backups will be deleted while the drive gets full.
Backup MacOS Data To An External Drive With Time Machine
Now Let’s start to backup macOS data to an external drive using Apple default backup solution software “Time Machine”. It’s highly recommended to backup your data to an external hard drive.
#1. Connect External Drive to your Mac Device.
#2. Turn on your macOS and click on the Apple icon at the top-left corner of the screen and select System Preferences.
#3. Then Select the time machine from Preferences
#4. Check “Back Up Automatically” if you want to regularly backup your data. Also, you can add Time Machine to the Menu bar for easy access.
#5. Now click on select disk.
#6. Now you can choose the disk you want backup the data into, while you selected then click on use disk.
#7. Once you selected the disk then the backup process automatically starts. Wait for a few minutes or even hours depends on your data size.
#8. After your backup completes, you will get the notification.
- How To Reset IPhone X, XS, IPhone 8, IPhone 7, IPhone 6
- 3 Top Ways To Recover The Deleted Photos On Android Devices
- Best Data Recovery Software For All Windows & MacOS
In this guide, I explained to you how backup macOS data to an external drive using time machine. This software exists in your macOS you can use it freely. if you faced any problem during these steps please let us know in the comments.